Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sick Signs Mean Healthy




Currently, I'm totally absorbed in Fasting and Eating for Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It's my Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I highly recommend the book. One passage I found incredibly enlightening is about toxicosis, which is the retention by the body of elements that are foreign to normal cellular function.



Something that really annoys me is being jammed into a crowded, sweaty subway train. The train is so tight that my left elbow is wedged between my back and some guy's buttocks. And then someone nearby begins coughing uncontrollably. I can see the germs serpentining around all the people and finding a way inside my nose.

The book highlights the fact that the coughing I find so annoying is actually a sign of health. It's the body's way of keeping the lungs clear. The book elaborates:

A healthy body may cough, sneeze, develop a fever or a rash, and even produce mucus (my specialty) or diarrhea in its attempt to rid the system of unwanted retained waste.

Haven't you always wondered why you get diarrhea? It's just the body's way of saying, "Get the hell out!" Makes it seems ok unless you're on an airplane or out of toilet paper.

Another interesting point the book makes is that often chronic smokers will say they feel fine. They exhibit no symptoms of coughing or trouble breathing. It's when they stop smoking that they begin to feel bad, by developing a cough and lots of mucus. This is the body's way of cleansing itself once given a chance to focus energy of this task.

I still don't feel good about people coughing or sneezing on crowded trains. However, lately I feel better defended from sickness. I think my combination of ingesting more greens either in juice or food plus a vegan diet is equipping my body with an arsenal of antioxidants and other goodies. So grab your green tea or green juice and jump on the nearest crowded train.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what ya like.