Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2011

Food Makes Me Sick

The realization that food makes me sick is so disheartening especially since I've been trying to heal myself through food. Yesterday I was at the editors's. It was mid-afternoon, and I was feeling hungry. The kitchen at the editor's is stocked with pretzels, Skittles, York Peppermint Patties, and granola bars. All of these items either contain gluten, sugar or a host artificial stuff that'll make me sick. The producer ordered a sandwich from a nearby deli and I, a banana.

Within ten minutes of eating the banana, my sinuses became incredibly inflamed and clogged with gross mucus. Something as innocent as a banana makes me sick. I could understand feeling bad, if I had tasted "the rainbow".

This week has been struggle. I feel like my body has taken several steps backwards along the healing path. I'm currently reading The Yeast Connection by William G. Crook. The book highlights the connection between candida overgrowth and an over use of antibiotics plus steroids. The book recommends a yeast-free diet. I was confident that my diet is yeast free, other than the three glasses of sparkling wine I consumed last weekend. Those three were my first in more than six months. I checked the ingredients on my gluten free English muffins and bread and was horrified to read this listed for both: yeast.

Gulp....cry....

Sure it's easy to give up these morning breakfast items. The hard part is replacing them. So many foods are a bother. I foresee my next post to be something along the lines of veggie sushi for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what ya like.